Avocado: The New Beauty Multi-Tasker
You don't have to give us any more reason to love avocados. Not only delicious and super Instagrammable (hello avo toast), but they provide nutrients that help grow strong, healthy nails and pack a punch of other essential skin and hair benefits. Whether you eat them or use them directly on your skin, here's why we LOVE avocado:
- Nutrient absorption. Eating avocados with other fruits and vegetables can help your body more easily absorb key nutrients from the foods that necessary to healthy skin, hair and nails. So, next time you whip up your favorite smoothie or quinoa bowl, mix in an avocado to get the full benefits of your healthy diet.
- Avocado treats skin conditions. Dry and itchy skin is something a lot of us suffer from, especially during cold winter months. Applying mashed avocado directly to the skin for 5-10 minutes at a time daily can help to cure and prevent those simple conditions.
- DIY exfoliator. It's no secret that consistent exfoliation of the skin is key to a smooth, glowing complexion. Avocado is a great ingredient for an at-home exfoliation scrub. Mash up one avocado with some oats and/or sugar. Rub it on your hands or other necessary parts of your body for five minutes, two to three times per week. Rinse it off with warm water.
- Cuticle treatment. All of the above benefits apply to your cuticles too! After applying mashed avocado to your cuticles and nailbeds nightly for just a few days, you will notice stronger and healthier nails in just a few days. So don't be afraid to get your hands a little dirty next time you're mixing the guacamole.
- A Natural SPF. Skin cancer is something everyone should take seriously, especially if you have an Italian Love Affair with the sun. Applying avocado oil directly to the skin can protect you from harsh UVA and UVB rays that can damage your skin.
Try OPI's Avoplex line, a collection of avocado nutrient-infused lotions, treatments, oils and exfoliators.