How to Get Stronger, Healthier Nails
The key to a perfect manicure isn't the color, it's not the tools you use or the manicurist you go to. The key to a perfect manicure comes down to your health... your nail health that is. A lot of us don't realize it but we're harder on our nails than we think. They're on our hands, which we use more than any other body part. From washing the dishes to texting your besties, your everyday activities could be putting a toll on your nail health.
Here are some tips on how to get stronger, healthier nails:
- Avoid harsh chemicals. While you always want to keep your nails clean, it's important to not over expose them to harsh chemicals that can be found in anti-bacterial soaps, dishsoaps and yes, even nail polish remover. When washing dishes, wear cotton-lined rubber gloves to protect your hands.
- Take a daily vitamin. Daily vitamins like biotin have proven to strengthen weak or brittle nails. Ask your doctor if this vitamin or others is right for you.
- Stop biting, seriously. Twenty-sixteen is the year you break this nasty habit! Not only is biting your nails unattractive, but it's SO bad for your nails.
- Keep 'em short. If you've never been able to grow long and strong nails, then just keep them short. There's no point in trying to grow out nails that you know are going to break the minute they get long. Keep that mani consistent by keeping your tips short. Use sharp and clean scissors or clippers, and file them smoothly so they don't have the opportunity to break.
- Moisturize. ESPECIALLY during the winter months, moisturizing your nails and cuticles is super important. Each time you reach for the hand lotion, make sure to cover your cuticles and nail beds too. Get in the habit of moisturizing every time you wash your hands. Try OPI's Avoplex line of lotions and cuticle treatments, infused with nutrient rich avocado oil.
- Reconsider that polish. If all of the above regimens aren't working for you, opt for nail-strengthening polish or base coat and top coat. Try OPI's Nail Envy Nail Strenghthener Collection, a protective polish that comes in your favorite shade.