How to Strengthen Your Nails
We all know that long, strong nails are the very definition of #goals. But actually getting them to the point you desire before they break off into uneven pieces and cause split nails is much easier said than done.
To help, we consulted our expert nail techs on how to grow nails, how to strengthen nails, and finally, what skincare to use.
1. Invest in a soft nail file
2. Try a Biotin supplement. Studies show that brittle nails that are prone to peeling and breakage could be a sign of Biotin deficiency. Consult your physician and supplement your diet with an extra dose of the essential B vitamin.
3. Say hello to Nail Envy® Nail Strengthener
4. Invest in a 4-way buffer. This genius tool smooths the nail plate out to make it more compact, bringing the surface nail layers together to add strength.
5. Nail your filing technique. Back-and-forth see-saw motions will only cause the nail to splinter, so always file in one direction, using long, swift but gentle strokes, we recommend starting from the outside edge and moving to the center. This will help you avoid split nails while filing.
6. Even if you don’t have time for a full manicure, applying a hydrating and strengthening base coat can prevent the nails from peeling and becoming weak. We recommend switching your regular base coat for one coat of Natural Nail Strengthener, which is formulated to help your nails grow stronger.
7. Switch your nail polish remover to Expert Touch Lacquer Remover. It sweeps away even the darkest lacquer shades without the drying effects of harsh removers. The acetone in harsh removers is rough on fragile nails and can dry them out almost instantly - cue peeling, splitting, and those unsightly white, mottled marks.
8. Take a look at your diet, strong nails need plenty of vitamins and minerals. Consult your physician, and consider adding more protein (meat, fish, lentils), biotin (eggs, salmon, peanuts), zinc (green beans, cashews), and iron (spinach, beef) to your diet.
9. Make sure your nails are in the correct shape for your hands as you grow them out. Your nail shape should follow your cuticle shape for easy strength and growth.
10. Moisturize. Moisturize. Moisturize.
11. Remember this: Healthy cuticles equal healthy nails. Stop picking, trimming, or manipulating your cuticles in any way. Use ProSpa Nail + Cuticle Oil daily to repair, nourish and moisturize. Dry, brittle nails will only lead to splitting and chipping.
12. Say goodbye to dry skin around your nails with the soothing and repairing ProSpa Exfoliating Cuticle Cream. Packed with white tea and essential minerals, it'll transform delicate skin, leaving it ultra-nourished and hydrated.