How to Strengthen Your Nails
We all know that long, strong nails are the very definition of #goals. But actually getting them to the point you desire before they break off in uneven pieces is much easier said than done. To help we consulted our expert nail techs on how to grow nails, how to strengthen nails, and finally, what skincare to use.
1. Invest in a soft nail file. You may have heard glass files are the way forward but while they're pretty, longer-wearing and easy to clean, it pays to invest in a 'soft' file. We recommend the Edge White 240 File for a smooth finish and to prevent tearing or splitting your nails.
2. Try a Biotin supplement. Studies show that brittle nails that are prone to peeling and breakage could be a sign of Biotin deficiency. Supplement your diet with an extra dose of the essential B vitamin.
3. Say hello to your nail growing and strengthening hero, Nail Envy! Our special formula contains hydrolyzed wheat protein and calcium to encourage growth. We recommend applying two coats to your bare nail, then applying another coat every other day for the best results. After a week, remove it, and start again. These extra layers of protection will also add some bulk to nails that feel thin.
4. Invest in a four way buffer. This genius tool smooths the nail plate out to make it more compact, bringing the surface nail layers together to add strength.
5. Nail your filing technique. Back and forth see-saw motions will only cause the nail to splinter, so always file in one direction, using long, swift but gentle strokes, we recommend starting from the outside edge and moving to the center.
6. Even if you don’t have time for a full manicure, applying a hydrating and strengthening base coat can prevent the nails from peeling and becoming weak. We recommend switching your regular base coat for one coat of Natural Nail Strengthener, which is formulated to help your nails grow stronger.
7. Switch your nail polish remover to Expert Touch Lacquer Remover. It sweeps away even the darkest lacquer shades without the drying effects of harsh removers. The acetone in harsh removers is rough on fragile nails and can dry them out almost instantly - cue peeling, splitting and those unsightly white, mottled marks.
8. Take a look at your diet, strong nails need plenty of vitamins and minerals. Consider adding more protein (meat, fish, lentils), biotin (eggs, salmon, peanuts), zinc (green beans, cashews) and iron (spinach, beef) to your diet.
9. Make sure your nails are the correct shape as you grow them out. Your nail shape should follow your cuticle shape for easy strength and growth (read our guide here).
10. Moisturize. Moisturize. Moisturize. Dry hands are a major problem when it comes to maintaining nail strength and health. That’s why we’ve created ProSpa Advanced Softening Gloves and Socks to hydrate and soften the skin. Both contain macadamia oil and shea butter to ensure your hands and feet are pampered and primed for the nail treatment they deserve.
11. Remember this: Healthy cuticles equal healthy nails. Stop picking, trimming or manipulating your cuticles in any way. Use ProSpa Nail + Cuticle Oil daily to repair, nourish and moisturize. Dry, brittle nails will only lead to splitting and chipping.
12. Say goodbye to dry skin around nails with the soothing and repairing ProSpa Exfoliating Cuticle Cream. Packed with white tea and essential minerals, it'll transform delicate skin, leaving it ultra-nourished and hydrated.
Your hands say a lot about you, so keep those nails in good shape with these easy-to-follow tips. Want to learn more about how to strengthen nails and the best ways to keep your nails healthy and happy? Head to the OPI Nail Clinic, and don’t forget to shop our full range of nail care products today.