Support Resources for Nail Professionals in the COVID-19 Crisis
At OPI, we support nail professionals every step of their career – even the most difficult. The current situation has had a major impact on nail techs and hairstylists, salons, and educators throughout our industry. We feel your pain, and we want to help.
Coty North America iintroduced a $200,000 Disaster Relief program to help Beauty Professionals affected by the pandemic. This Program is opening on April 13th, 2020 to all of North America, including Canada*. As part of this program, licensed professionals including hairstylists, nail technicians, salon owners, and OPI educators, can apply to receive one of 200 relief checks totaling up to $1,000 each to assist in the pandemic relief and recovery. #HAHDisasterRelief - together we can.
Applications for entry have now closed as of June 16th, 2020.
We want to give you as much support as we can during the crisis to help you bounce back. And whilst we are not claiming to be finance experts, below are other Safer at Home business and self-care resources
1. The US administration has begun releasing funds to help small to medium businesses throughout the COVID crisis. Visit https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/loans/coronavirus-relief-options to read through Coronavirus relief options, including payroll support & loan options.
2. Economic Injury Disaster Loans: “The Economic Injury Disaster Loan Program (EIDL) can provide up to $2 million of financial assistance (actual loan amounts are based on the amount of economic injury) to small businesses or private, non-profit organizations that suffer substantial economic injury as a result of the declared disaster, regardless of whether the applicant sustained physical damage.”
3. Save Our Salons! Covid-19 Beauty Industry Economic Hardship Petition: Many licensed beauty professionals are self-employed & facing several economic hardships due to salon closures. Support the need for the creation of an economic hardship stimulus package.
4. Taxes, Filing and Payment Deadline Questions: The Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) announced special Federal income tax return filing and payment relief in response to the ongoing Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) emergency.
5. State and Local Government Responses to COVID-19: Policies around salon and store business closures vary from state to state based on local government action. Read the comprehensive report to find out more information for your local government and what policies to abide by during this time.
Instagram recently announced the release of the Small Business Sticker, an Instagram Story addition that allows users to tag small businesses they support, and allows followers to see posts about your business in one cohesive place. You can encourage your following to tag your small business in posts to help generate word of mouth online.
As part of our Stay at Home Guide, we talked with OPI Educator Julie Le about how she’s using nail salon supplies to create DIY pedicure kits for her clients in order to generate some income & stay close to her customers at this time.
Additionally, OPI Educator Galdina Jimenez is currently creating custom press-on nails and cuticle oil for clients to help stay connected with them. Read her tips on generating income during these unprecedented times, and what the process was like for her to apply for unemployment and how she deferred rent.
We have also developed a profit calculator tool to help you determine the best cost of service given predetermined constraints. Download the tool below to help ensure your profits are stable at this time.
Looking to brush up on your Service Education and Nail Art skills whilst your salon is closed? Our OPI Professional site has learning modules, step-by-steps, and course quizzes you can take to refresh or enhance your nail knowledge. We particularly encourage you to focus on gel color, powder perfection, and nail art tutorials as they can help increase service costs when you get back to work.
Contact Us: We want you to know we are here for you during this time.
FAQs: Get answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers to Plan and Respond to COVID-19: “The following interim guidance may help prevent workplace exposures to COVID-19, in non-healthcare settings. (The CDC has provided separate guidance for healthcare settings.) This CDC Cleaning Guidelines also provide planning considerations for the community spread of COVID-19.”
CDC Cleaning and Disinfection Guidelines: “This guidance provides recommendations on the cleaning and disinfection of rooms or areas occupied by those with suspected or with confirmed COVID-19.”
What To Do If You Are Sick: If you are sick with COVID-19 or think you might have COVID-19, follow the steps below to care for yourself and to help protect other people in your home and community.
Hand Sanitizer Donations: Coty Inc., the beauty manufacturer behind brands like OPI, announced recently that it will be providing free hydroalcoholic gel to medical and emergency services in an effort to fight COVID-19.
Glove Donations: Our friends at Wella Professional Beauty outlined efforts to donate gloves and essential items.
We know that in times of uncertainty, self care is incredibly important. Check out this wellness and meditation app from Down Dog https://www.downdogapp.com/ with workouts, yoga classes, and information you can use from the comfort of home. It’s free until May 1st.
A DIY spa day is a great way to unwind, read our recent blog to get inspiration for mani/pedi’s using our OPI ProSpa products and items you can find around your home.
With news about this pandemic constantly updating, we encourage you to stay healthy and do what is best for you and the health of the community. Don’t hesitate to ask questions and share advice or tips on @OPI_Professionals head to our OPI Pro YouTube channel for inspiration, and visit us online to review OPI protocol or try nail art techniques at www.opi.com/opi-professionals.